We are seeking to appoint an outstanding Postdoctoral researcher with expertise in urban air quality sensing and exposure assessment for smart cities to join our recently funded Thames Valley Smart City project. The key task for the project is to evaluate the impact of smart traffic management and other interventions on the urban air quality, the resultant population exposure and health outcome. You will be responsible for air quality measurement campaign, data analysis (including machine learning techniques where appropriate), exposure and health assessment in collaboration with the project team and partners, and liaison with the wider community. Urban air quality modeling experience (e.g., LUR, ADMS-Urban, CFD) could be desirable but not a must.
The post will be based in the School of the Built Environment (SBE), University of Reading. School of the Built Environment has long-standing research reputation in building and urban sustainability. SBE was ranked 3rd by research impact and 6th by research power in Architecture, Built Environment & Planning in REF2014.
You will be required to upload a covering letter/supporting statement, including a brief statement of research interests (describing how past experience and future plans fit with the advertised position), CV and the details of two referees as part of your online application.
Main duties and responsibilities
- Collect and analyse current air quality data from various local authorities and partners ;
- Contribute to the urban air quality measurement campaign for the project;
- Conduct the research on urban air pollution data analysis, interventions, and population exposure modelling and health outcome assessment;
- Organize stakeholder workshops to engage local partners (for example, community ‘futures’ workshops to assess attitudes and perspectives of end users to air quality, transport and energy deliverables)
- Contribute to ongoing cross-cutting evaluation of other workstreams such as transport and health.
- Effectively communicate and collaborate with project partners to facilitate cross disciplinary research with the interdisciplinary partners and local authorities.
- Prepare papers and reports to achieve milestones and deliverables (journal articles, conference presentations, materials for workshops etc), often with tight deadlines in collaboration with project partners
You will have:
- PhD in a relevant discipline (urban air quality, exposure assessment, smart cities etc)
- Advanced knowledge on urban air quality sensing and smart cities
- Relevant experience with urban air pollution measurement and exposure assessment
- Relevant experience on Data processing of observational or modelled data sets
- Experience of organising research workshops and focus group activity
- Preparation/publication of peer reviewed journal papers
Informal contact details
Alternative informal contact details
Dr Zhiwen(Vincent) Luo
Prof Tim Dixon
+44 (0) 118 378 5219
+44 (0) 118 378 7181
Interview date to be confirmed
The University is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce, supports the gender equality Athena SWAN Charter and the Race Equality Charter, and is a Diversity Champion for Stonewall, the leading LGBT+ rights organisation. Applications for job-share, part-time and flexible working arrangements are welcomed and will be considered in line with business needs.