We seek a highly motivated individual to join the Quest team as Archaeobotanical Manager, with specialist expertise in macrobotanical (seeds and fruits) and/or wood/charcoal analysis.
Quest (Quaternary Scientific) is a well-established enterprise within the School of Archaeology, Geography and Environmental Science (SAGES) at the University of Reading. We provide an expert Archaeological Science service to archaeological units, environmental consultancies, government organisations, charities and university-led research projects (for more information visit www.reading.ac.uk/quest).
As Archaeobotanical Manager, you will:
- Undertake research and act as Project Manager on a large proportion of awarded projects including some or all of the following duties:
- Undertaking and managing fieldwork in rural and urban locations (including busy construction/ demolition sites)
- Designing fieldwork and laboratory-based sampling strategies
- Undertaking and managing laboratory extractions and specialist macrobotanical (seeds and fruits) and/or wood/charcoal analysis
- Production and/or editing of research: (1) project designs; (2) risk assessments and method statements; (3) detailed specialist fieldwork, assessment and analysis reports.
- Collaborate, provide expert advice, and attend meetings with clients (including archaeological contractors, consultants, developers, land-owners, government organisations & internal/external academic researchers) and overseeing bodies (e.g. English Heritage Regional Science Advisors, Local Planning Authorities, Chartered Institute for Archaeologists).
- Lead on or make a significant contribution to papers for publication in high-ranking peer-reviewed academic journals.
You will have:
- Academic qualifications to at least MSc in Quaternary Science, Environmental Archaeology, Geoarchaeology, Archaeology, Geography or a related discipline.
- Excellent field & laboratory work skills – specifically in archaeo- or palaeobotany
- Experience of working on research and developer-funded projects
- Excellent written and oral communication and interpersonal skills, including the ability to contribute to team meetings and write/present complex reports
- Excellent organisational and time-management skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to deal with students, other team members and senior staff
Informal contact details
Director of Quest
Dr Rob Batchelor
0118 378 8941 / 07734 530438
Interview date to be confirmed
Applications from job seekers who require sponsorship to work in the UK are welcome and will be considered alongside all other applications. By reference to the applicable SOC code for this role, sponsorship may be possible under the Skilled Worker Route. Applicants should ensure that they are able to meet the points requirement under the PBS. There is further information about this on the UK Visas and Immigration Website.
The University is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce, supports the gender equality Athena SWAN Charter and the Race Equality Charter, and is a Diversity Champion for Stonewall, the leading LGBT+ rights organisation. Applications for job-share, part-time and flexible working arrangements are welcomed and will be considered in line with business needs.