This is an exciting opportunity for a highly motivated research scientist with a strong background in demography and/or quantitative/statistical methods to join an international research team working on son preference and sex-selection in India and China and similar topic in the UK.
The role will work closely with Professor Sylvie Dubuc (Principal Investigator; Reading) to prepare and analyse survey and other relevant data on fertility and childbearing practices linked to gender/son preferences. The role requires a strong background in demography/statistical methods and experience working with fertility data.
The post holder will conduct the demographic and broader secondary quantitative analyses, and assist in the preparation of relevant publications, communication activities and future research project applications.
You will have:
- PhD/Post graduate degree in demography/ quantitative social science, statistics, or other relevant degree with a strong quantitative component.
- Excellent knowledge and experience of quantitative methods. Background knowledge in demographic methods.
- Experience managing and analysing complex, large datasets. Strong analytical skills.
- Ability to work both as part of a team and individually.
- Ability to work under own initiative, strong organisational skills and attention to detail.
The post is available from 1st December 2020 or as soon as possible thereafter and should start no later than 1 January 2021.
Informal contact details
Alternative informal contact details
Professor, Head of School
Dr Sylvie Dubuc
Dr Steve Musson
Interviews will be held week commencing 23rd November 2020
The University is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce, supports the gender equality Athena SWAN Charter and the Race Equality Charter, and is a Diversity Champion for Stonewall, the leading LGBT+ rights organisation. Applications for job-share, part-time and flexible working arrangements are welcomed and will be considered in line with business needs.